Saturday, July 14, 2007

Butterfly




And because I couldn't get this picture posted just where I wanted it in my previous post, I'm doing a new entry just for it.


This is a black swallowtail butterfly. A few weeks ago, my youngest son got some caterpillars from a friend's house and brought them home. Of course, I didn't want the "creepy, crawly things" in the house, but we did some research on them, and found that the type of caterpillar we had would turn into the beautiful butterfly in the picture.

We'd set up some branches, for which they would attach themselves to in the pupae stage, and added milkweed which is one of the things we found out that they eat. Just this morning, we noticed one in the chrysalis stage was almost see through so we kept an eye on it. The next thing we knew, there was a butterfly in the tank. When it was ready to fly, and with a little help out of the tank, it flew off into the front yard.

Hopefully, I can get a better picture of the others when they change.

2 comments:

Maude Clare said...

That's a great post and really gorgeous when you think about it. I'd love to have seen that in person. I grow lots of flowers that attract butterflies, which is one of my passions.


Good luck on Sweating 70 and thanks for stopping in at my blog.

Colorfulpen said...

It was really neat. So far, we've had two butterflies. Waiting on four more to emerge.

Keep on Sweating!