Thursday, August 09, 2007

Sand, Sun, Surf

ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more

Back from our last trip of the summer!

We went to the beach in Galveston and the Space Center in Houston. The best part was Monday when we stopped in Houston at Murder By The Book for Karin Slaughter's book signing. Yay! This is the thing I posted about not being able to wait for. I was worried that somehow Monday's plans would get screwed up--because, well, that's just my luck--so I made sure we left the house in plenty of time. We got to the bookstore two hours early! I didn't mean to be that early, but hey...

The store was awesome and the booksellers friendly and helpful. The place was smaller than I expected, simply because I didn't know what to expect, but it held my interest for two hours so I'd have to say that's pretty cool; mysteries of all kinds, and gifts. I, of course, got Karin's new book (one for me, and one for my mother as a gift), and her first one, Blindsighted, so I could fix my library. Note to self: don't lend out books to absent minded friends who move away and don't return borrowed books! I got two other books, and a t-shirt that says "Go to hell, I'm reading" and it has the bookstore name on the back. I could live in that shirt!

Seeing Karin was so freaking awesome! She's smart and funny (as if there was ever any doubt). The whole time, my heart was beating so fast I thought it'd beat right out of my chest, my hands were shaky and I thought I might cry. A total fangirl moment. She also graciously posed for a picture with me, and I can't wait to put it on here if it turns out okay and I don't look too awful.

And I have to say I was pretty proud of my boys who waited patiently--for two hours! They'd already been warned ahead of time anyway and knew this was really important to me. But what good guys!

We went to the beach on Tuesday. That was fun, but nothing compared to meeting Karin. I spent most of that day tucked in a beach chair under an umbrella reading Beyond Reach. Got a little people watching in, too.

Wednesday was the space center. It was okay as long as we were indoors. Too hot for the tram tour but we did that, too. We went back to the beach that evening when it wasn't so hot.

As for writing, well, I didn't get any done and forgot to post progress yesterday, so I did that today over at Sven's place.

No comments: