Wednesday, September 12, 2007

One Week Left!

The Sweat70 challenge is in its last week. I have about 11K more to go to finish my first novella. I'm excited, worried, doubtful, stressed - all those things that go with the territory. For the challenge, my goal was to complete two 30K novellas. I won't be finishing the second one this time around, but will be happy with completing my main WIP. Hopefully, the second round of Sweating will see me working steadily on other projects I have in mind.

Some quotes from the challenge that I've found helpful:

Stephen King-
"Sometimes you have to go on when you don't feel like it, and sometimes you're doing good work when it feels like all you're managing is to shovel shit from a sitting position."

Dr. Seuss-
"Everything stinks till it's finished."

John Steinbeck-
"When I face the desolate impossibility of writing five hundred pages a sick sense of failure falls on me and I know I can never do it. This happens every time. Then gradually I write one page and then another. One day's work is all I can permit myself to contemplate and I eliminate the possibility of ever finishing."

Jack London-
"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

Barbara Kingsolver-
"There is no perfect time to write. There's only now."

Roberta Gellis-
"Dreaming and hoping won't produce a piece of work; only writing, rewriting and rewriting (if necessary)-a devoted translation of thoughts and dreams into words on paper-will result in a story."

And this I found in the WD forums the other day:
"Life's too short to screw around with games and missed opportunities."

No comments: