Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Treasures

I've probably said it before, but I'll say it again. I love it when I find something new and get so into it that it's almost all I know. All I care to know. It's like finding a rare treasure. Recently, I purchased Nikki Sixx's book The Heroin Diaries. I'm all over the place when it comes to my reading. If it interests me, I'll read it.

In Nikki's book, he shares the diary entries from the year he spiraled down a deep, dark hole of drug addiction. At the time, Motley Crue was at the height of their career, but no amount of fame and fortune mattered. As out of control as everything was, Nikki managed (surprisingly enough) to document what was going on, from the band, to the music industry, to his own demons, giving readers an inside view of the lifestyle.

Accompanying the diary entries is commentary from the people who were there at the time--band members, management, friends, family. Lost lyrics, drawings, photographs can also be found throughout.

Poignant, honest, disturbing. This is one book I won't ever forget.

I realize now why Nikki was always my favorite band member--and it has nothing to do with the fact that I thought he was the best looking. He's a creative soul who happened to get lost along the way. To pull himself up out of that darkness and turn it around for something good (his side project Sixx: AM, clothing line, and work for troubled youth) is truly admirable. I'm glad to have been able to read his story in his own words.

No comments: