Friday, August 15, 2008

Wishes

So I was pulling out of the post office Wednesday, the youngest was with me, and he asked, "If you had a genie and could have only one wish, what would it be?"

I didn't hesitate when I answered, "To go to Tennessee, meet Kix Brooks and visit his winery."

There was a pause while his little brain thought that over and then he said, "That's it? No Coach purse?"

"Well, you said only one wish."

"Okay, if you had a thousand wishes, what would they be?"

"Number one, go to Tennessee to meet Kix Brooks and visit his winery. Be a bestselling author. And, okay, I'll take a Coach purse, too."

I have my priorities (and actually, it doesn't even have to be Coach. I was going through some weird phase where I thought I had to have one).

Anyway, speaking of Kix...GAC had a Cowboy Town special with Brooks and Dunn Wednesday night. Kix said something that caught my attention. Not that he didn't already have it, but he talked about songwriting. Basically, how hard it can be. Waiting for that inspiration, and going through the day hoping that somebody will say something and "it'll be that jewel..." There was more to it, but I was nodding my head the whole time because I understood. I'm not a songwriter, but I felt writing in general is pretty much the same way. Those moments when inspiration takes hold, or you can't wait to get a great idea down on paper, are like gold. And it is hard work, but worth it in the end. Those guys are inspiring.

No comments: