Wednesday, December 09, 2009

NaNoWriMo wordcloud


Wordle: Heat

The image is small, but I did a word cloud of the top 100 most used words in my NaNoWriMo novel through wordle.net.

So, it's been a little over a week since NaNoWriMo ended. My fourth year to participate and my first win! I was very proud of this win. I started slow - 300 word days tired me out, but the more I worked the more I picked up the pace, discipline kicked in - either that or fear of losing again - and I was having 2 and 3k word days, and later in the month close to 5k word days. It shouldn't have been so hard, but when you're out of practice it takes some time to find your rhythm.

Trying to work while away during the Thanksgiving holiday was tough but it got done, and I only had a little to finish when I got back home.

My biggest motivator was having the support and encouragement of a good friend who was also participating. I can only hope I motivated him half as much as he did me. I owe this year's win to him. To determination, to newfound discipline, and even to fear.

Some days the words came easier than others, some days I wanted to give up. There was all the usual suspects of course - self doubt, the inner critic - but I learned to just keep plugging along. That's how you cross that finish line, by not letting those things get in the way.

I enjoyed my crazy characters and had a lot of fun, which is what it's really about. I haven't looked back through the document close enough to see if there's anything salvageable, but I will. I think mostly it's a mess, but that's okay. I re-learned some valuable lessons.

No comments: