Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Chain

So I've taken up a new hobby. At least I think I have. Years ago, a relative tried to teach me how to crochet but I didn't have the patience, and probably not enough want to so I didn't pursue it, until recently that is.

The inspiration was discovering this new-to-me writer at another blog, and I adore the items in her Etsy shop.

I went to the store yesterday to find a 'How To' book and got one that came with different size hooks. I geeked out on all the different types and colors of yarn (so many pretty things), but ended up with the color below (shades of green) to try to make something for my mother's birthday in May. Hopefully I can learn between now and then. After 10 minutes of just trying to figure out how to do a slip knot, and finally getting it and one chain stitch, I was ready to poke my own eyes out with the hooks. But I shall persevere.



I found some videos online that have proven helpful, even more so than the book I bought.

The blue yarn is what was left over from an old art project my youngest son did in school, so I've been practicing with it.

2 comments:

Cyndle said...

A great book on the subject is by Debbie Stoller: "Stitch n' Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker." Her diagrams are awesome, her directions make sense, and she has some REALLY cute patterns in there. It's a GREAT book for a beginner. New on half.com for 9 bucks! http://product.half.ebay.com/The-Happy-Hooker_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ47037056

Happy crocheting, and thanks for mentioning the shop! :)

Colorfulpen said...

Thanks for the book info! I'll have to check it out.