Monday, April 18, 2011

PAD Challenge Day 16 and 17

I've been fighting with the "snapshot" prompt for a couple days, trying to catch up now.  The forms are fun and challenging so I've been attempting different ones. 

On Saturday (Day 16 of the PAD challenge), I was gone most of the day.  Nikki Sixx (bassist for Motley Crue and Sixx:A.M.) was doing a book signing at Barnes and Noble in Dallas.  Event started at 3:00P.M.  I got there at 2:00, bought the book, was given a lettered wristband and then informed that they'd be calling "K" around 6:30.  I finally got to meet Nikki around 9:30 that night.  He signed my copy of his latest book This is Gonna Hurt:  Music, Photography, and Life Through the Distorted Lens of Nikki Sixx, and I got a hug! 



















I'd be finished reading the book if I didn't have 50 other things going on, including this poetry challenge, but one word:  awesome!  I'll get back into it as soon as I catch up on my poeming.

So, Saturday was a big day for me.  And while I was sitting outside B&N waiting...and waiting...and waiting, I knew I wanted to write my snapshot poem about Nikki.  Well, as with most of my writing, it didn't quite go as originally planned.  I did tons of people watching that day, and this one girl was captured as my "snapshot."  I was going to write a simple poem, describing what she looked like and what she wore, but as I mentioned, I'm addicted to studying different poetic forms, and I tried a paradelle.  I think I might've butchered the form.  Still learning.

"Snapshot"

She was a tall drink of water.
She was a tall drink of water.
Oozing coolness in the liquid heat.
Oozing coolness in the liquid heat.
Drink a tall water in the liquid heat.
She was oozing of coolness.

My mouth was dry.  She quenched the thirst.
My mouth was dry.  She quenched the thirst.
Crisp refreshment on a sultry day.
Crisp refreshment on a sultry day.
On a sultry day, she was the crisp refreshment.
My dry mouth thirst quenched.

Like something out of a dream.
Like something out of a dream.
A gentle breeze lifted her soft hair.
A gentle breeze lifted her soft hair.
Dream something gentle like her soft hair
lifted out of a breeze.

My crisp refreshment was like a tall drink
of water on a sultry day.  Something in the
liquid heat quenched dry mouth thirst. 
She was oozing coolness.  The gentle breeze
lifted her soft hair out
of a dream.


Day 17:  Write a big picture poem.

Here's mine:

"Big Picture"

The fighting
over petty stuff
doesn't get
to the root
of the problem, but if we
try, we can find peace.

Let no harsh
words or thoughts be brought
to your lips,
for venom
ignites hatred and don't we
have enough of that?

No comments: