Thursday, April 07, 2011

PAD Challenge Day 6

I didn't submit a poem to the challenge yesterday.  Not because I didn't write, because I did.  I just didn't like what I'd written.  The prompt was:  take the phrase "Don't (blank), (blank);" replace the blanks with a word or phrase as the title of your poem, and then write your poem...

I had three different ideas for titles for most of the morning, none of which I was crazy about until I came up with one I liked, and when I finally started writing, the poem took on a life of its own.

I finished the poem late in the evening, and just wasn't sure it didn't completely blow.  It was a villanelle which I've written before with varying degrees of success, if success means they didn't make me want to bang my head on the desk.

The title that didn't get ditched was Don't Look Down, Look Up.  I might see if I can rework it somehow.















By the way, 9 times out of 10, I first type poem like this - peom - and have to retype it.  What's with that word? 

No comments: